Korean French Fry Crusted All-Beef Hot Dogs
Make this recipe with me on the Dishing up Durham show! Watch Season 1 - Episode 16.
Featuring: Willowtree Farm All-Beef Hot Dogs
4 tbsp sugar, divided
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
4 Willowtree Farm All-Beef Hot Dogs
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
4 disposable chopsticks or wooden skewers
Aioli (combine to taste, mayonnaise, Hurt Berry Farms Duality Hot Sauce & lime juice)
fresh chopped cilantro leaves for serving
● In a large bowl, stir together 2 tbsp sugar, warm water and yeast and let rest until bubbly, about 10 minutes, then add salt and 1 3/4 cups flour and stir until combined and no lumps remain (dough will be very wet). Cover bowl with a damp towel and let dough rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
● Meanwhile, rinse diced potatoes in cold water to remove excess starch, then add to a pot of boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes. Strain potatoes and immediately rinse under cold running water to cool, then blot dry with paper towel and toss with remaining 2 tbsp flour. Set aside.
● Pat hot dogs dry with paper towel. Working with one hot dog at a time, centre a chopstick or skewer at one end and insert lengthwise three-quarters of the way up inside. Repeat process with remaining hot dogs/chopsticks/skewers.
● Lay reserved potatoes on one half of a baking sheet and panko breadcrumbs on the other half. Working with one hot dog at a time, dip into the dough mixture until completely covered, then roll into the potato, then into the breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere ingredients to the hot dog. Repeat process with remaining hot dogs. Discard any leftover dough, potato and/or breadcrumbs.
● Fill a large wok with 3 inches of oil and heat to 350°F. Working with one hot dog at a time, fry until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time. Transfer hot dog to a cooling rack set inside a baking pan and sprinkle with a little of the reserved sugar. Repeat process with remaining hot dogs. Serve hot dogs drizzled with aioli and topped with cilantro leaves.