Ramp & Fiddlehead Tempura with Spicy Yogurt
Featuring: Pingle’s Ramps & Fiddleheads
1/2 cup plain 1%MF yogurt
1 tbsp El Rudo Gourmet Salsa Macha
1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 cup Tyrone Mills Bread Flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 cup lager, chilled
1 1/2 oz (about 12-16) Pingle’s Ramps
12 Pingle’s Fiddleheads, blanched
Vegetable oil for frying
● Combine yogurt and hot sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
● Pour 3-inches of vegetable oil in a large sauce pot, and heat to 350ºF
● Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, bread flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder, then slowly whisk in chilled lager to form a smooth batter.
● Working in batches, dip ramps into batter and then carefully place into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pot (depending on the size of your pot, you may be able to fry 2 to 4 ramps at a time). Fry ramps until light, golden and crispy, about 3 minutes (turning over half way through frying time). Remove ramps to a sheet pan lined with paper towel and season lightly with salt. Repeat with fiddleheads.
● Serves ramps and fiddleheads immediately with spicy yogurt.