White Anchovy Escabeche
Make this recipe with me on the Dishing up Durham show! Watch Season 1 - Episode 24.
Featuring: Archibald’s Orchard & Winery Apple Raspberry Wine
1/2 cup Archibald’s Orchard & Winery Apple Raspberry Wine
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Villa Vida Loca Farm Pure Honey
1 tsp salt
2 fresh bay leaves (dried will also work)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp Foggy River Farm Zest Dried Herb Blend
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
3/4 cup medium diced rhubarb
12 marinated white anchovies from the jar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp olive oil
Crusty bread for serving
● Combine wine, vinegar, honey, salt, bay leaves, garlic, paprika, zest blend and 1/4 cup of water in a small sauce pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Add shallot, carrot and rhubarb, cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and cool brining mixture completely.
● Place anchovies in a small dish, pour cooled brine mixture over top and refrigerate for 2 hours.
● Remove marinated fish from brining mixture and pat dry with paper towel. Spoon some of the brining mixture and vegetables on a rimmed serving dish and set aside.
● Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Lightly dredge anchovies in flour, shaking off excess, and cook in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
● Arrange fried anchovies on top of brining mixture and serve with crusty bread.