Beef Carpaccio with Charred Fennel & Radish
Make this recipe with me on the Dishing up Durham show! Watch Season 1 - Episode 25.
Featuring: Evan Hill Farms Grass Fed Angus Beef Tenderloin
8 oz (213g) Evan Hill Farm Grass Fed Angus Beef Tenderloin
1 tsp Foggy River Farm Roast Dried Herb Blend
2 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 bulb of fennel
8 radishes, quartered
4 oz (113g) Friulano cheese, cut into small wedges
Handful of fresh basil leaves
Hurt Berry Farms Fruition Hot Sauce for serving
● Rub tenderloin with dried herb blend and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Set aside.
● Heat canola oil in a large cast iron skillet over high-heat and, when smoking hot, add tenderloin and flash sear on all sides, about 15 to 20 seconds per side, remove and immediately place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
● Remove the fronds (feathery tops) from the fennel and reserve. Remove the stalks and discard. Cut the fennel bulb through the core into ½-inch wedges and toss with quartered radishes in the olive oil and add to the hot skillet, cooking until slightly charred, about 5 minutes, flipping half way through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
● Remove beef from freezer and, using a sharp knife, slice against the grain into thin rounds, place in a single layer on a cutting board, top with a piece of plastic wrap, and use a meat mallet or small sauce pan to gently pound out into very thin, even slices.
● Arrange tenderloin slices on a serving platter, top with fennel-radish mixture, cheese wedges and basil leaves and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, a few drops of hot sauce and reserved fennel fronds and serve immediately.